Beat Mirror uses your device's built-in microphone to detect musical tempo in real-time. Set a target tempo with the special tap-for-tempo feature and then start the music. A real-time graph of your tempo will appear right away, allowing you to scroll through your tempo history and see trends. Perfect for musicians looking to build their internal rhythm, or to see the tempo of their favorite songs in real-time!
"Beat Mirror truly is simplicity at its finest. That quality is missing from most apps who try to cram too many features into one app thus making it difficult to use and many times buggy. We feel like your app is VERY good. We're reviewing Beat Mirror and it will be a part of the next show. It's got nothing but thumbs up!" - Phil Smith of "Drummer's Weekly Groovecast" (podcast)
"When I first heard about Beat Mirror, I was kind of skeptical but after trying it out for weeks now and playing with it everyday, I'm mindblown. Alex really wanted to put a focus on helping drummers improve their internal clock and I really think he's done so." - Richard Ducat of "Drummers I Like" (podcast)
"Overall, this app is so quick and simple to use, there's not really an excuse as to why you wouldn't use it during practice sessions, just to see how you’re improving. If you're a drummer, having an app on your phone or tablet like Beat Mirror just makes sense." - Laura Barnes of MI-PRO (mi-pro.co.uk)
Good music needs good rhythm. But learning to stay on beat—learning to groove—isn't always easy. Build your inner metronome with Beat Mirror and catch yourself when you're speeding up or slowing down. Here’s what Beat Mirror has to offer:
- Wide tempo range. Tempo detection between 40 bpm and 208 bpm.
- Fast. Detects tempo quickly and accurately.
- Flexible. Accurate across time signatures (e.g., 4/4, 6/8) and rhythm styles (e.g., swing).
- Real-time, scrollable graph. Displays current tempo and tempo history in real-time.
- Easy-to-read interface. Optimized for various light environments, such as stages and practice spaces.
- Tap pad. A special tap pad lets you set a target tempo easily and intuitively.
- Custom count-in. Beat Mirror gives you an optional count-in before you start playing.
- Versatile. Perfect for solo practice, band rehearsals, recorded music, and you can even use it at concerts!
TIPS FOR BEST PERFORMANCE:
- Avoid handling your device during tempo measurement.
- Be mindful of competing noise near the device's microphone (e.g., conversation, typing).
- Unplug any headphones with a built-in microphone.
NOTES ON USAGE:
- "Target Tempo." Beat Mirror is aimed at musicians and bands looking to build their internal rhythm and musical skills. With that in mind, you are prompted for a "target tempo" (the tempo you're aiming for) prior to tempo detection. To ensure highly accurate results, the detection range is limited to roughly ±20% of your target tempo. (Tempos outside of this range will not be detected.)
- Recorded music. To detect the tempo of recorded music using Beat Mirror, follow these steps:
1) Play a song from your favorite music player app using the device speaker (i.e., unplug your headphones). Or, play the song from a different device altogether.
2) Open Beat Mirror and set a rough target tempo by tapping along.
3) The song's precise tempo will then be displayed in real-time.
Questions about Beat Mirror? Please don't hesitate to get in touch at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. Happy practicing! -Alex
What's New in Version 2.2.2
New in this update:
• Two more count-in options (12 beats, 16 beats)
• The count-in now counts up, rather than down: 1, 2, 3, 4…
• After some users reported a distracting lag, the tap pad sound effect has been disabled
Questions, comments, feedback? Get in touch anytime at alex[at]tenkettles[dot]com. -Alex
Ten Kettles Inc.
VPP Device Licensing
iOS 10.0 or later
iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12 mini, iPad (4th Generation) (Wi-Fi), iPad (4th Generation) (4G), iPad (5th Generation) Wi-Fi, iPad (5th Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation) Wi-Fi, iPad (6th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro, iPad Pro (Cellular), iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) (Cellular), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air (Cellular), iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 (Cellular), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini Retina, iPad mini Retina (Cellular), iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 (Cellular), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 (Cellular), iPad mini (5th Generation), iPad mini (5th Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (4th Generation) (Wi-Fi), iPad Air (4th Generation) (Wi-Fi + Cellular), iPad (8th generation) Wi-Fi, iPad (8th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (6th Generation), iPod touch (7th generation)