Weekend Flyer is the easy way to plan your flights around the weather up to several days into the future. Now when you leave your home airport on Friday you’ll be able to plan for the weather on Sunday afternoon for your trip home. By drawing a picture of the weather much further into the future flying suddenly become more practical.
THE PROBLEM -
Weather information for flight planning even a day in the future is sparse. Prog charts go out less than 24 hours into the future and lack detail. TAF’s are only available at select airports and only go 24-30 hours into the future. Predicting the flying weather further into the future or at non-TAF airports require you to become a meteorologist, interpreting fronts and pressure systems. Even then the local conditions will often mess with you.
THE SOLUTION -
NOAA does provides forecast data for more than 2½ days into the future and for nearly every airport with an automated weather station on it (more than 1500). But until now its never been presented to pilots as a clear picture of the flying weather. Other apps only let you view one airport at a time whereas Weekend Flyer draws a clear picture of your whole flight.
- The base map is a high resolution scan of the VFR Wall Planner you often see at airports.
- The weather stations (more than 1500) are color coded for flight category VFR, MVFR, IFR, LIFR.
- Thunderstorms and high winds at the airports are also shown. No need to switch between several screens to get the information you need.
- Cloud coverage is also shown.
- Even precipitation is shown (but subtly to keep the map from becoming busy).
- Surface winds and winds aloft shown with wind barbs.
- Map shows all public use airports when zoomed in.
- Map optionally shows night and day.
- A unique ‘time slider’ allows you to quickly and easily show the weather for any time in the forecast range.
- The smooth interactive interface allows you to see the ‘flow’ of the weather.
- Tap on any station for detailed weather information.
- See the weather trend for a single station.
- Easily create and edit routes by long pressing on airports on the map.
- Send the route to ForeFlight (Weekend Flyer is not associated with the Foreflight app or company)
- Routes use winds aloft to determine estimated time en route. Just slide the altitude control up and down to quickly find the optimal cruise altitude.
- Simulate a flight at your expected departure time. Ideal for finding a route when you want to leave at a specific time.
- Or have the whole route’s weather shown based on your departure time and ground speed. Weather is shown for the time you’ll pass each weather station. Ideal for finding a departure time when you want to fly a specific route.
- Extensive help available in the app (press the ? on the toolbar).
- Contiguous United States (lower 48 states) only - Sorry Alaska and Hawaii.
- Not a replacement for an Electronic Flight Bag app nor for an FAA weather briefing. Some weather information like icing or turbulence just isn’t provided.
What's New in Version 1.8.6
Once again fixes NOAA website change. No longer need to manually update URL's to download weather.
Thomas Court Software Development, LLC
VPP Device Licensing
iOS 8.1 or later
iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation), iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 12 mini, iPad 2 (Wi-Fi), iPad 2 (3G), iPad (3rd Generation) (Wi-Fi), iPad (3rd Generation) (4G), iPad (4th Generation) (Wi-Fi), iPad (4th Generation) (4G), iPad (5th Generation) Wi-Fi, iPad (5th Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation) Wi-Fi, iPad (6th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro, iPad Pro (Cellular), iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch) (Cellular), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (10.5-inch), iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air, iPad Air (Cellular), iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 (Cellular), iPad Air (3rd generation), iPad Air (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini (Wi-Fi), iPad mini (4G), iPad mini Retina, iPad mini Retina (Cellular), iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 (Cellular), iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 (Cellular), iPad mini (5th Generation), iPad mini (5th Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (7th generation) Wi-Fi, iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air (4th Generation) (Wi-Fi), iPad Air (4th Generation) (Wi-Fi + Cellular), iPad (8th generation) Wi-Fi, iPad (8th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPod touch (5th generation), iPod touch (6th Generation), iPod touch (7th generation)